An In-Depth Look at CBD Milligram Strengths
Posted on January 24 2020
An In-Depth Look at CBD Milligram Strengths
CBD is changing the wellness landscape thanks to innovations within the industry, an endless stream of fascinating clinical studies and acceptance among the medical community. More and more people are finding ways to incorporate hemp into their daily routine by choosing a product that works best for them. One of the main keys to having a positive experience with CBD is knowing the right milligram strength for daily consumption, and for many users, this is a matter of trial and error.
The milligram strength of CBD that you consume with your daily dose has everything to do with how the cannabinoid affects you. Therefore, choosing the right strength is of utmost importance. Today, we’ll be taking a closer look into the milligram strength of CBD in terms of what it refers to specifically, how it varies from product to product and how you can choose the right strength for you.
What is a Milligram Strength When It Comes to CBD Products?
To put it in simple terms, the milligram strength refers to the amount of CBD by the milligram. Every CBD product is required to clearly state the milligram strength on the product’s label. Virtually every CBD product on the market consists of hemp extract which is rich in CBD, as well as other ingredients. So, the milligram strength on the product’s label informs you on the amount of CBD compared to other ingredients. This way, you know how much actual CBD is in each dose that you take.
Why Different Types of CBD Products Have Different Milligram Strength Ranges
As you know, CBD comes in many forms these days, including capsules, vape oils, tinctures, edibles, topicals and more. Each type of product, whether it be a tincture or a topical, has its standard range of milligram strengths. For example, oral tinctures most often come in 500mg to 1500mg, while vape oils tend to come in lower amounts.
So, something that many CBD users wonder is whether or not 50mg of a CBD oral tincture will deliver the same effects as 50mg of a CBD vape oil. The answer, technically, is probably not. This is because CBD absorbs into the body in a different manner depending on the way in which it is administered. For instance, when CBD is inhaled in the form of a vape oil, it absorbs almost instantly, allowing for a much higher potency level in the body. When CBD is consumed in the form of a tincture, it absorbs at a slower rate and is therefore a bit less potent once it has been absorbed. Therefore, the same milligram strength consumed in different ways can feel different in the body. For this reason, different CBD products tend to come in different ranges of milligram strengths.
Common Milligram Strength Ranges Per Product Type
Now, let’s break down each popular type of CBD product and its typical milligram strength range.
- Edibles: CBD edibles are edible goods that contain hemp extract. Most often, they come in the form of gummy candies, as these are the most popular that are on the market. Typically, CBD edibles contain between 2 to 20 milligrams per piece.
- Tinctures: CBD tinctures are oral tinctures that are administered under the tongue. The tincture formula sits beneath the tongue for about one minute so that the hemp compounds absorb through the sublingual tissue. Most often, you’ll find tinctures in 500 to 1500 milligram strengths, with that amount referring to the total number of milligrams in the bottle.
- Vape Oils: Vape oils are CBD-infused e-liquids that are inhaled through a vaporizer device. Most often, vape oils provide between one and five milligrams per puff.
- Topicals: CBD topicals are CBD-infused topical products that are absorbed through the skin rather than administered internally. Topicals tend to come in wider ranges of milligram strengths due to the fact that they aren’t consumed internally. The average range is 250 per 1000mg.
- Capsules: CBD capsules are capsules or tablets that contain hemp extract. They tend to come in the same milligram strength range as edibles due to the fact that they absorb into the body in the same manner.
Determining the Right Milligram Strength
Now that you know about CBD milligram strengths, you’re probably wondering how you can figure out which strength is ideal for you. Of course, the first thing that you need to do is determine which type of product you’d like to consume, whether it be an edible, vape oil, topical, tincture or something else. This is because the milligram strength of one type of product will likely not affect you in the same manner as a different type of product with the same milligram strength.
Once you’ve determined the type of product that you’d like to use, you need to figure out the reason why you’re taking CBD. If you’re dealing with some type of severe symptom, you may wish to go with a milligram strength that’s on the higher end of the average range. Otherwise, you can start with the lowest option and work your way up as needed.
Milligram Strength Really Matters!
If you want to have the most positive experience with CBD that you possibly can, it’s important that you determine the ideal milligram strength for your daily dose of hemp. As you can see, the milligram strength has a lot to do with whether or not you have a successful CBD experience. Use this guide to help you decide what the ideal milligram strength is for you.